Wednesday, June 23, 2010

CLOTH bag finished...finally!

I mentioned a post or two ago that it takes a while to finish things....this bag is direct evidence, considering I started it last Christmas! I decided around that time to stop being precious about precious fabric, and take the scissors to my sacred stash. This little bundle of offcuts from the ever so fabulous CLOTH collection was just screaming to be teamed with a few bits of denim from recycled jeans. It only took 6 months to complete. A bit here and a bit there. Thats how I tend to work.

My friend Catriona gave me a dress made out of striped Liberty print that she wore in the 80s! The fabric was still in flawless shape so I used it to line the bag:


I nerded out and made sure I used a small snippet of fabric bearing the word CLOTH (no secret how much I LOVE their work)


Love the shades of blue created by chopping up an old pair of jeans or two!


One of these days I'll post a tutorial on how I do zippered pockets on tote bags. I'm pretty sure you'd never find this technique in any traditional sewing instructions, but hey, it works great! Sometimes I just make it up as I go along, making tutorial-posting a challenge. (i.e. "You mean you want me to do it twice? Exactly the same??!")


So my bag is complete and I'm a bit in love with it. The ONLY problem is that I think I made the strap a bit too long. As you can see I top-stitched the bejeezus out of it, making unpicking it not an option. I'll use it a bit more and see if I can tolerate it. It would be such a shame to chop a chunk out of it! Ahhhh we'll see.

4 comments:

BOB & MABEL said...

I love it! Love the fabrics, the stitching, everything!

Crayon Chick said...

You're such a neat sewer! I just want to touch that bag, all those pieces side by side look so tactile, you'll have mad crafting people following you down the street wanting to stroke your new bag! Loved your message, and you know I refold the cut up pieces so they still look nice when they are stacked!

yardage girl said...

Nice work - looking forward to the zipper tutorial! I'm not a bit zipper fan, but willing to learn!

juliecloth said...

Hi there - Julie the woman of cloth here. I love it that you love us and I love your bag. The secret zip pocket is very impressive.

When you are in Sydney next please drop by for a cup of tea and a biscuit. We can trade sewing tips.

cheers
Julie